Thursday, May 24, 2007

The ordeal of the wisdom tooth continues...

So, where did I leave you guys last time in my epic sob story? Ah yes, right here. So let's get on with it, shall we? After the first wisdom tooth ordeal ended, it was time to go back to the hacker, sorry, dentist to get the other wisdom tooth removed. This one went much better than I expected. The very next day, the pain was bearable and I was waltzing around at work, though I looked like I had a lollypop stuck in my mouth. This just turned out to be the lull before the storm. As it frequently happens with me, the pain hadn't completely gone by the end of the first dosage of pain killers. So I went back to the dentist for more. After that, things seemed to go swimmingly for a few more days. I even played cricket, volleyball and, in general, forgot all about my missing tooth.

That's when it happened. The pain started intensifying just when I was finishing up with my second dosage of painkillers. I could feel some kind of swelling inside my mouth, and the pain was excruciating. So I went back to the dentist, who stuck his finger in, felt around, and said there's something 'weird' going on inside. He thought it was some kind of infection, and prescribed me a dosage of antibiotics followed by some stronger painkillers. He even commented sarcastically "You are the luckiest guy in the world". If only I didn't depend on his prescriptions to get those painkillers, I would've strangled him. No, hung him by his tooth. "Ofcourse" I thought to myself. "This had to happen to me. What was I thinking?".

So I picked up the pills and went back to work. I realized that a single painkiller pill did nothing to relieve my pain. So I started taking two at a time. Not a great idea to do this at work, as it turns out. The pills hit me very soon, and I was as groggy as a cockroach in a beer bottle. The whole day, I was finding places to put my head down and sleep. But after a day, I felt some improvement. The swelling has gone down, and the pain is not as bad. I can even get by with a single pill at a time. That's where things stand now.

So where do I go from here? I'm leaving on a 2-week vacation tomorrow, so obviously I don't want to take my pain with me. I'm hoping things improve drastically today. Still, I might have to visit the dentist and get another round of painkillers, as a precaution.

And yes, before I forget. Remember the decayed tooth next to the first wisdom tooth I pulled out? The dentist cleared away the decay and gave me the "good" news. I get to keep the tooth if I get a root canal procedure done. Infact, he wanted me to get this done before I left for my vacation. With my luck, I didn't want to have a major procedure done 2 days before I left the country. So, no thanks Doc.

Clearly, this is not over yet. Watch this space for more sado-masochist adventures...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home