Friday, March 16, 2007

WC quickie 3 - 6 X 6 = massacre

The setting: Dan van Bunge (Netherlands) bowling his fourth over to Herschelle Gibbs (South Africa) in a world cup league match.

Van Bunge (to himself): If only I could get this Gibbs bugger out, I'll be in for world cup glory. I could go to the RLD in Amsterdam and get any girl for free. Let me try temmpting him down the track.

29.1 van Bunge to Gibbs, SIX, Violence! Gibbs charged down the track and hoicked it over long on.

Van Bunge (to himself): The shitfaced wanker! No worries. One six does not make a bad over. He'll be full of overconfidence now. Let me float something up, get him to hit on the up and someone will surely catch him.

29.2 van Bunge to Gibbs, SIX, Murder! Floated on the leg and middle stump line and Gibbs sends it soaring over long-off.

Van Bunge (now a little distraught): Okay, this over is not really going according to plan. Can't really flight on these goddamned small Caribbean grounds. I'll just bowl 'em flat and leave the rest to God.

29.3 van Bunge to Gibbs, SIX, Carnage! Flatter one this time but it makes no difference to Gibbs. He just stands there and delivers. This one also has been sucked over long off

Van Bunge (now shit scared): What the f$@#!!! This guy is crazy. Oh shit! What am I gonna say to all those people whole garlanded me and sent me off at the Amsterdam railway station. Everyone from the town cobbler to the carpenter is gonna spit on me. I just hope I can keep it quiet for the rest of the over. I hope I don't screw it up by bowling a low full toss or some similarly awful delivery. God help me!

29.4 van Bunge to Gibbs, SIX, Wah Wah! Low full toss and guess where this went Yep. A slap slog and it went over deep midwicket! He is going to go for 6 sixes in this over!

Van Bunge (on the verge of a nervous breakdown): You gotta be kiddin' me. I've lost my reputation, probably my job and I'm quite sure my wife has left me by now. I wish I had brought a white hankerchief I could wave at him. I wish I could just sit down and cry. I don't want to do this. I don't belong here!

29.5 van Bunge to Gibbs, SIX, Short in length, on the off stump line and Gibbs rocks back and swat-pulls it over wide long off. Simply amazing. What a batsman. This is pure violence!

Van Bunge (past the point of no return): Jesus! I hope no one noticed that I've peed a bit in my pants. Not my fault really! Noone told me this was possible when I took up cricket as a midlife crisis. I've got myself into one deep shit. How do I explain this to my 2 sons who were looking up to me proudly? When the divorce judge sees replays of this over, I'm not even going to get weekend custody. If there is a God, this would be a good time to intervene. I'm just going to bowl this one wide and I hope Gibbs lets it go.

29.6 van Bunge to Gibbs, SIX, He has done it! One-day record. No one has hit six sixes in a row. GIbbs stands alone in that zone. And the minnow bashing continues! Full and outside off and bludgeoned over deep midwicket

Van Bunge (to himself): Oh well! Atleast I have that 'weed' in my hotel room. Let me get high and kill myself! This is a cruel cruel world.

PS: Yes, this really happened today!

PPS: Given Gibb's altercations with bookies and match-fixers, has anyone looked into the bookie market to see if a big bet had been laid on someone scoring six sixers in this game? Just a thought.

PPPS:
Updated with video below. Enjoy!