Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Wedding - Schedule, itinerary and logistics

Welcome to the first of what would hopefully be a series of articles on my wedding, the various events and parties in the run up to the main event, as well as the aftermath. I cannot proceed without actually spending some time talking about the logistical difficulties that we were faced with even before the events began. Here's a quick recap of my 3-week stay, or rather travel, in India. And then you tell me if this schedule is for the fickle-minded and the weak-constitutioned...

Jan 15th - Land in Chennai. Ah! home sweet home. Unfortunately, can't meet my brother for another week while he's busy at IIIT Bangalore twisting his ankle, hurting his finger and in general being very injury-prone.

Jan 20th - Flight from Chennai to Mumbai, Mumbai to Baroda. Am welcomed by the fiancee, her mom and sis who's trying her best to embarrass me by video-recording my arrival. I'm whisked away to select my wedding ring. We come back for lunch and then head out again to select my Sherwani for the wedding. A relaxed evening at home with the family and some Black Label, followed by dinner at the Taj.

Jan 21st - Drive to Nadiad (between Baroda and Ahmedabad) for a pooja with the family Shastriji. This was the primary reason for my lightening fast visit to Baroda. After the 3-hr pooja and a sumptuous home-cooked Gujju meal (by the Shastri's wife and bahus), we drive to Ahmedabad where I catch a flight to Mumbai, then fly Mumbai to Chennai. I had earlier in the afternoon received news that my Go Air flight from Mumbai to Chennai had been cancelled. The reason they give out - flight is down - is inexcusable to say the least. The resourceful father-in-law calls up his travel agent while the pooja is in progress and books me on Jet Air.

Jan 25th morning to Jan 26th evening - Navjeevan Express from Chennai to Baroda with my family and relatives (don't underestimate a travel that lasts for the better part of 2 days). The initial enthu leads to lots of photos, Antaksharis and card games. When we've explored all entertainment options and look at the time, we realize we've only managed to while away 3 hours. Another 29 hours to go. Brutal!

Jan 26th evening to 28th evening - Various wedding festivities. Will be the subject of a few other posts.

Jan 29th morning - Still hungover from the wedding festivities, the Missus and I catch a Jet Air flight to Mumbai, then Mumbai to Cochin. We are picked up by a pre-assigned driver and are taken for almost 3 hours through circuitous roads to Kumarakom, around 80 kms away.

Jan 29th afternoon - We both get on the houseboat we had booked at Kumarakom Lake Resort by around 4PM. With a personal chef and 2 boatmen at our disposal and a liberal dose of kingfisher, I would say we were well on our way. Sail ahoy!

Jan 30th afternoon - We get off the boat and check into the actual Resort.

Jan 31st morning - The driver shows up again, this time to take us on the arduous 170 km trip to Kovalam. the missus hits upon a brilliant idea. We send the driver with our luggage and get a complimentary speed boat ride to Aleppey which cuts down around 45 mins on the road for us. Sheer genius!

Jan 31st afternoon - Reach the Leela Kempinski resort at Kovalam after a long tiring car ride. We're both ready to hit the beach.

Feb 2nd morning - A complimentary car picks us up from Leela and drops us off at the Trivandrum airport. We catch a frighteningly small Jet Air flight to Chennai.

Feb 2nd afternoon - Picked up at Chennai by my brother. I show the wife various historic spots in Chennai like Santhome Church, Anna University, Raj Bhavan, IIT, my school and my home. The wife's family lands in Chennai a few hours later. The flight delay has caused a bit of confusion and they are finally picked up by my dad and uncle. In the meantime, we're both fulfilling our obligations to our elders by visiting my paternal and maternal grandparents.

Feb 2nd night - We meet wife's family for a nice cosy dinner at the Boat Club, Adyar.

Feb 3rd evening - It is the reception thrown by my parents at the Tag Center, Alwarpet. We're both sitting ducks to flashing lights and cameras while people go about their business, hob nob and have fun in general without caring 2 hoots about the victims on stage.

Feb 3rd night - Yes, its time to pack up. Have an Air India Flight at 4AM the next day. That leaves me 2 hours to come home, gather my stuff, pick up the wife from Boat Club and reach Chennai airport.

Feb 4th morning - Stop over at Mumbai to transfer to the Chicago flight. We're both walking zombies. Don't know what hit us!

Feb 4th 6:30PM CST in Chicago - Its friggin' cold, a temperature drop of almost 50C or 95F whichever turns you on. We are left to fend for ourselves as our normally loyal friends ditch us to watch the Superbowl. Catch a cab and reach home on our own. Funkaboy is at home to welcome us. He makes the wife kick a glass of rice as is customary and I lift her an inch over the threshold. Wife is thrilled when the Chicago Bears finally lose. I would've been shocked if the result had been anything else after the varied curses she unloads on them.

Feb 5th morning - Can you believe it? We both have got to go to work. The last 3 weeks feel like a dream. Normality resumes. This sucks!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome ... How did you start on Jan 15th , get around and got back on Jan 5th !!!

2/8/07, 8:57 AM  
Blogger funkaboy said...

I guess time flies in the reverse direction
when you are in love :)

2/8/07, 9:11 AM  
Blogger c2c said...

Can I still use jetlag as an excuse for the date screw up? Thank you Sherlock Holmes(es). Fixed the dates.

2/8/07, 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home