Monday, November 20, 2006

Worst movie ever?

Ok folks. I finally have a serious candidate for the title of 'the world's worst movie ever'. No, its not a Salman Khan starrer from bollywood or an equally mind-boggling cabtun fun fest from kollywood. This one come straight out of Hollywood and stars a bona fide actor and all. Yeah, 'Nacho Libre' is my candidate. And man, does it make a good case!!!

I've always kind of liked Jack Black. He has a goofy sense of humor, great facial expressions and he does not take himself too seriously. Movies like 'Shallow Hal' and 'School of Rock' had a heart as well. So when TV ads for his new movie came out, with Jack Black clad in skin tight pants in a wresting ring, I thought good ol' Jack might have done it again. It was also fun to shout "Naachoooooo Liibbbreeeeee" in a sort of hugh pitched tone and jump around on the couch just enough to irritate W and funkaboy. I would repeat this everytime the ad came on, even back to back ones. I was carried away so much by my own hype that I even considered watching it in a theater at one point of time. Now, I shudder at the thought.

Anyhoo, I picked up the DVD on a lazy weekday and settled down for an evening of fun and macho with Nacho (okay, I only did that for the rhyme!). And boy, was I wrong? The movie had only enough dialogs to fill up an A4 sheet, and approximately 76% of that was in Spanish. Nacho is brought up in an orphanage in some godforsaken part of Mexico filled with weird characters, and he harbors hopes of making it into the wrestling world, a la, WWF. Along the way, he meets the guy who would undoubtedly be the worst sidekick ever, falls in love with a nun and takes us through some lame ass stunts (literally!). The movie conveys absolutely nothing, and I'm being generous here. I'm fine with that if there were some funny episodes along the way. Nada, here too. Jack does not even try to be funny most of the time. He thinks that he can just show up in a scene, blurt something in Spanish, clench his ass and act all serious and self-introspective and the audience will roll over with laughter. Well, roll over I did. Not with laughter, but because I was being seriously beaten up by W for subjecting her to such torture.

So did I manage to watch the whole movie? Sure, I did. Partly because I'm a closet sado-masochist and partly because I wanted to see how bad the movie could get or if it might redeem itself towards the end. No such luck. This is not so much a review of the movie, but a rant from a demoralized fan of Jack Black. I donn't even understand what the motivation was to make such a movie. Don't tell me they didn't know this movie would be a total flop! It has nothing going for it whatsoever.

So let me sign off with a piece of advice you guys are going to thank me later for - DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Parupps said...

you saved me, my friend! I was seriously thinking of watching this movie, of course for Jack Black.

11/22/06, 9:06 AM  
Blogger c2c said...

you're welcome dosth! that's what i'm here for...

11/22/06, 11:33 AM  
Blogger Pri said...

What????? u didn't even think the letter at the end with the big kiss little kiss big hug little hug was funny?
:)

11/29/06, 2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home