Monday, November 06, 2006

An Aussie travel blog in India

I was doing some research about some travel spots for my upcoming India trip and happened to chance on this travel blog. It is written by an Aussie woman, Donna Rendell, who's spent 6 months traveling all over India. The travel blog is intended to serve more as her biography rather than any intentional tour guide. However, the part I liked the best was her last entry, where she summarizes her stay and bids adew to India. She also succintly summarizes the country and its people, that I found refreshingly honest without being patronizing, as Western tourists usually are when they travel in a third-world country.

For example, her take on Indian politeness...
You’ll never hear “excuse me” … instead you’ll be knocked over as people push past you to get on buses, trains, into or out of a store, footpaths.

Or about Bollywood. Although, I do think she's mistaken the Kollywood and the Mallu/Telugu industrues for Bollywood...
Most Bollywood leading men are uuuugly, fat and have big moustaches.

And our love for music...
There’s only two volumes for music here. Off and really fucken loud (and distorted)!

And our love for jeans...
All the bad jeans come here to die.


And the most hilarious observation of all - the unusual Indian habit of holding hands, even among males. This shocks even me when I go back to India these days. I know you guys are crying "hypocrite!!!", but I just can't help it...
I thought all the men were gay when I first got here ‘cause they all hold hands - even the police officers.

Here's the link to the complete article...

In summary, a decent travel blog and a great commentary on backpacking across India. And to think that I haven't even visited Taj Mahal (despite living in Rajasthan for 4 years) or Kerala (yes, my neighboring state!). Hopefully, I'll manage to spend that much time traveling across India some day. Although, I suspect our prejudices will not let us absorb as much of the culture and people.

13 Comments:

Blogger Arun said...

When will an Indian travel like this in Australia and blog like this >?

For Indians travel = pilgrimage. Do u agree?

11/6/06, 9:14 PM  
Blogger c2c said...

yes ofcourse. But atleast our people get to travel with this excuse :D Then again, it means that vacations are hectic affairs with people trying to run from one temple to another, waiting in darshan lines and dipping in holy water. No pristine beaches and relaxing vacations for us...

11/7/06, 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't beleive that u called India a '3rd world country'.

11/15/06, 10:24 AM  
Blogger c2c said...

I'm sorry, maybe I should have used the oft used 'developing country' tag. But I think when it comes to the transportation and food/lodging outside of 5-star hotels, we're still a developing nation.

11/15/06, 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Mansi Sharma said...

Hey really this is good blog..love to come back again..

3/16/11, 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Shruti Seth said...

Wow...thanxs for posting this on your blog...

3/16/11, 9:52 AM  
Anonymous BestinChennai said...

Hey very nice blog man.Thank you for sharing this informative and interactive blog.

6/11/12, 1:55 AM  
Anonymous ram said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/27/12, 2:11 AM  
Anonymous Daivs said...

Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Tandoori Chef2 which is An authentic North Indian, fine dining restaurant, Tandoori Chef offers Maplewood and the surrounding area a wonderful taste of Indian cuisine.

1/15/13, 1:05 AM  
Blogger Catherine Tramell said...

Good and nice information about India's tour and travel. India is very attractive country, In India many beautiful attraction are available. Take flights to Chennai and catch in his eyes that beauty........

2/23/13, 4:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...


Hi,
we are impressed to see correct information at your blog.

Regards
Stalwart Solutions

Hotels & Packages

Agra Taxi Service

Dehradun Taxi Service

Govt Jobs Information

12/16/13, 12:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read your blog. Such a great information. Please share your more ideas about gujarat .Read more about Chennai here

2/11/14, 6:02 AM  
Anonymous Aslam said...

Nice blog and sharing a nice information. Thank you

2/28/14, 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home