Tuesday, May 02, 2006

4.5 years old, 65 kms, 7 hrs

This is probably the most inspiring story I've come across recently.

Child prodigy Budhia Singh on Tuesday entered the Limca Book of Records by covering a distance of 65 km in 7.02 hours even though he failed to complete the targeted 70 km.

Flanked by cadets of the Central Reserve Police Force , the five-year-old Buddhia completed the distance from Puri Jagannath Temple to Bhubaneswar braving the hot and humid conditions.

This was all over the news yesterday. The video clip of this kid in oversized shorts and red shoes, overcome with exhaustion, almost falling with every step and still carrying on bravely, surrounded by khakhi-clad cadets and cheered on by thousands was somehow deeply moving.

Here are some earlier articles about this kid on wikipedia and BBC. I've been looking for something/someone to inspire me to try out the Chicago marathon this year. I guess I don't have to look beyond Budhia Singh.

1 Comments:

Blogger ashok said...

i felt this kid was over pressurized by his coach, parents and media...for publicity. I just hope he succeeds in the future too

5/6/06, 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home