Thursday, March 23, 2006

Exploring Jazz and Blues in Chicago - Underground Wonderbar

Since I call my blog 'Chennai to Chicago', I really should be writing a little bit about both these cities that are close to my heart. So I decided to do something about it. The result is what you see here - my first clumsy attempt to describe my favorite places around Chicago. I will start with a small introduction to the Jazz and blues scene in the city.

Anyone with even an iota of interest in the American music scene will know that Chicago is probably home to the best Jazz and Blues talent after New Orleans. A trip to Chicago will not be complete without a visit to one of the numerous Jazz/Blues bars that dot the downtown landscape. There are so many to choose from that its easy to get confused. Some of them are called 'touristy' because they are big and boorish and seem to cater a lot more to visitors from outside. The locals seem to prefer the ones that are smaller and have a more intimate and cosy atmosphere, showcasing local talent. Most serious music listeners also have their favorite singers and bands and follow them around on the circuit.

Now, I will be the first one to admit that i'm an absolute music ignoramus. I have long ago resigned to the fact that there's not an ounce of music talent in my blood. But there's something about this Jazz and Blues that seems to hold my attention. I usually do not know the musician, have no idea about the song and very frequently even cannot pinpoint the genre. But I don't think all that is important to get the essense of the music, and to enjoy it as it is supposed to be - with a few friends and a few drinks. So once in a while, I get this Jazz/Blues itch and pay a customary visit to the city.

Underground Wonderbar. No ladies, I did not misspell it and its not something you will find in the Victoria's Secret catalog. This is probably my most favorite place to hang out when I get the afore mentioned itch. Located in the heart of downtown and surrounded by shops, boutiques and restaurants, this is an unassuming place that happens to be a Chicago landmark for 18 years. As the name suggests, this is located below the ground, is only as big as a 2-bedroom apartment (you'll have to cross the stage to get to the restroom!) but has great acoustics. A friday here typically starts off with some vigorous Electric Violin by Heather Horton that will put you right in the mood. With a striking resemblance to Alanis Morisette combined with a dash of Shania Twain, she's easy on the eye as well. Her performance is followed by the house band 'Lonie Walker and her Big Bad Ass Company'. Lonie Walker, as the smart ones among you might have guessed, is the band lead. More importantly, she's also the founder and owner of the club and apparently a Chicago legend. The band is supposed to play a genre called 'Transcendent blues', God knows what that is. Transcendence, by definition, implies something that transcends genres and cannot be placed in any one category. But you'll enjoy the perfect harmony of Lonie Walker's sultry voice and piano, combined with some great Saxaphone, Guitar and Drums. There's even a mini performance from a 'bone' player you won't see anywhere else. He has different kinds of sticks made of animal bones in both his hands and starts rattling them away creating some kind of jungle music. He will also entertain jokes about being a 'boner' and the various implications of the word.

Had a funny incident here once. A bunch of us were visiting this place one Friday night, and one of them (let's call him Jay) got pretty drunk. For some reason, he started lapsing into hip hop songs (which is as unappropriate in this place, as ordering Steak at Saravana Bhavan!). I wouldn't have bothered if he had stopped at it. He suddenly decided to get up, start singing "Go shorty! its your birthday... we're gonna party like its your b'day..." and started waving his hands and walking towards the stage where Lonie Walker was in the middle of a soulful number. Why he chose this particular song is anybody's guess, considering that none of us were particularly short or had our birthdays in the near past or future. In any case, as I was saying, he walked up to the stage and managed to knock the mike right into Lonie Walker's face, unintentionally ofcourse. Did I mention that she's the club owner and a Chicago legend? My friends and I couldn't believe what happened! I imagined that my stay there was about to be pretty rudely interrupted and that we were all going to be thrown out unceremoniously from the club by some over-harmoned bouncers. Infact, I went so far as to imagine they're gonna put up mugshots of us outside the bar with a 'Shoot at Sight' caption. Well, things did not get as dramatic. A huge bouncer brought Jay back to his perch atop a bar stool, told him "Don't you f#$&in' get out of here!" and went back. We heaved a collective sigh of relief and returned to our drinks and let Lonie Walker get back to her music after her near-death experience.

If you ever visit Chicago, I would highly recommend this place. The music is usually upbeat and energetic, the drinks are reasonably priced and the crowd is upscale and pretty cosmopolitan. As the night wears on and the alcohol seeps in, the cacophony of the different music instruments combined with the almost-mauled Lonie Walker's voice somehow seem to make perfect sense and life slows down to an enjoyable pace.

1 Comments:

Blogger tris said...

Cool. If I find myself in Chicago ...

3/26/06, 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home