Sunday, February 19, 2006

Masters of Comedy - Part 3 : The young guns

Despite continuing protests, not-so-well-hidden insinuations and downright insults (enda ippadi kotti thalra? nee enna millionaire comediansku ella PRO-va? translation - why're u not making any sense? Are you a PRO for millionaire comedians?) , I've decided to go ahead and complete my series about comedians, comedy and the impact of comedy on the world in general as well as the perception of public about comedy and the important of comedy in our day-to-day lives (If you are thinking "don't push it". I hear you and will stop repeating 'comedy' now. Comedy (hee! hee!).

Well, let's move on to the concluding part of our Trilogy with three parts (yes, inspired by Douglas Adams. For those saying "eh?", please read the 'Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy' before you waste time reading my silly blog!). I'm going to introduce 2 of the up and coming talents making waves in the stand up world.

Dane Cook: This is the in guy with the American college crowd. His latest album 'Retaliation' went right to the top of the Billboard charts. He's more of the physical humor type of guy, rolling around on the floor, hating the mike, pouring water over himself and hissing like a snake and all that good stuff. The best comedy bit I've heard from him is when he tries to analyze the psyche of single male friends who decide to go to a dance club - "Girls love music. They go to clubs just to dance. But have you seen any guy go to a club just to dance? Do we go like hey dude, f@#$ the chicks. Let's go dance man. Let's express ourselves on the dance floor...". This bit is a favorite among my friends. To this day, whenever we make club plans, someone will make sure he repeats this dialog.

Russell Peters: This guy came out of nowhere and took my breath away, literally. I made the mistake of watching this clip at work where, as it so happened, I was supposed to be working. I laughed my ass off and almost fell off the chair. Let's just say my co-workers avoid me in the corridor these days. Russell Peters is a Canadian Indian and he uses his Indian background to perfection. His best sequence is when he talks about racial integration in the future - "The whole world is mixing you know, and eventually everyone's gonna look the same. For example, a girl from Phillippines marries a guy from Holland, we get little 'Jalapenos'. A French guy hooks up with a Greek girl, we get 'freaks'. A guy from Iceland and a girl from Cuba, we get little 'ice cubes'". You can watch a couple of his clips at http://www.russellpeters.com/?page=video.

Well, that brings my comedy trilogy to conclusion. Hope you guys follow up on my advice and check up on a few of these guys, if you haven't done so already. Nothing like a few good laughs in these dark times when friends shoot friends with pellets meant for birds.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ram said...

Looks like you found a harmless vent for kottals -- blogging:)

Should write about Tamil comedians too.

2/20/06, 1:37 PM  
Blogger Chandru said...

jalapenos from phillipines and holland....hilarious...

2/21/06, 2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home